Urban Nudging Park
UNPark - Urban Nudging Park (from “to nudge”, but also “to unpark”) is a multi-phase feasability study aimed at investigating the long-term transformation of the parking lot spaces under the Serra Monte Ceneri flyover with the activation of a pilot project – a playground for-all, dedicated to street sports, social inclusion, environmental well-being and air quality pollution awareness. This project will be managed with the help of the inhabitants, starting from the schematic design until the construction, and it will includeNature Based Solutions (NBS) and reused/recycled materials.
UNPark is a Feasibility Study, by phases and with a Pilot Project, to transform the spaces under the Serra Monte Ceneri Overpass into a multifunctional street sports plaza, universally accessible, with a bottom-up air quality/environmental monitoring, Nature-Based Solutions and innovative materials experimentations.
UNPark works with scientists, researchers, institutions, stakeholders and citizens to imagine a sustainable future for big monofunctional infrastructure within the urban tissue. Air quality, social inclusion and psyco-physical well-being are some of the urgent issues UNPark is eager to face.
The UNPark project area is the Serra Monte Ceneri flyover, a two-kilometers viaduct on the northen-west side of the city of Milano, between Piazza Carlo Stuparich and Piazzale Lugano.
Project goals are:
- Co-design and co-creation of the pilot project with the help of stakeholders and partners.
- Air monitoring and dissemination of open data on environmental quality
- Citizen participation in the initiatives of animation of the spaces
- Publication of scientific and popular articles and dissemination of knowledge gained.
Project initiatives are:
- UNPark/workshops: design roundtables with partners and stakeholders involved in the project to define spaces and activities to be implemented within the pilot project below the Overpass
- UNPark/contests: campaign of competitions addressed to students of primary and secondary schools participating in the project, aimed at the dissemination of the initiative, the collection of reflections and the involvement of young people and families in the initiatives of UNpark
- UNPark/pilot project: implementation of a site-specific project that, starting from the techniques of tactical urbanism, leads to a strategic design, able to return to the community some of the spaces below the infrastructure for a limited time, through the creation of a playground for-all and a schedule of initiatives - sports and cultural - open to the community.
- UNPark/events: conferences, events open to the public, sports and promotional activities coordinated by the group of UNpark members and by the members of the Piazze Aperte project.